HERE TO JOIN OR RENEW ONLINE
Benefits of Membership
- Membership extends from January 1 through December 31st each year
- Enjoy networking with colleagues at informal social events
- Have access to and participate in our Find a Psychologist
- Receive referrals to your practice
- List your private practice on the SFPA website (“Find a Psychologist”)
- Help serve the community by providing the public easy access
and information for mental health services
- Receive our award-winning quarterly newsletter
- Join and receive information from the SFPA email listserv,
including legislative updates, referrals, professional information,
job opportunities, and office rentals, etc.
- Become involved in moving our profession forward in these changing times
- Pay less for continuing education (CE) workshops with an SFPA discounted registration
- Become more connected to your colleagues and the psychological community
- Access our member mentoring service and peer consultation groups
- Be eligible for listing in our public speaker's bureau
Membership Requirements and Categories
Membership requirements are essentially those of the American Psychological Association (APA) and the
California Psychological Association (CPA) of which this organization is a chapter. There are two main categories:
A. Members: Persons who are primarily engaged in the advancement of psychology as a
science and/or as a profession or who, prior to retirement, were primarily so engaged. Minimum standards
for election to Member status are: a license as a psychologist in California; or a doctorate in psychology.
There are three classes of members:
- Full Member: Individuals who have held an earned doctorate in psychology more than four years.
Dues: $120 per year.
- Early Career in Psychology (ECP) Member: Individuals who have held an earned doctorate in psychology for
four years or fewer. Dues: $75 per year.
- Senior Member: Individuals age 65 or older and have been a member of SFPA 10 years or longer. Years do not need to be
consecutive. Dues: $65 per year.
- For each of the above categories, members with current California licenses as Psychologists will be listed
in our Psychologist locator service on the web site, facilitating referrals from people seeking a Psychologist
and reading the SFPA web site. Members who do not hold a current California license are not eligible for listing.
They will be given a $25 certificate for use in attending SFPA-sponsored events during the year of membership.
B. SFPAGS/Graduate Students: Persons who are actively enrolled in a regionally-accredited graduate
program in psychology or other doctoral program leading to eligibility for California Psychology licensure.
(We will ask you to provide the name of your school and evidence of enrollment at time of application.)
Dues: $20 per year.
NOTE: Membership in the California Psychological Association (CPA) and the American Psychological
Association (APA) is recommended, but not required for membership in SFPA.
The constitutional provisions of SFPA state that: "A person may be removed from membership for conduct
which is unethical or which tends to injure the Association, affect its reputation adversely, or which is
contrary to or destructive of the Association’s objectives." The APA code of professional ethics
shall be the standard for SFPA members.
Falsification of information or misrepresentation of qualifications will be cause for rejection of an
application or revocation of membership.
If you have any questions regarding membership, please contact the Membership Chair, Bob Nemerovski, Psy.D.
Contact information for all chairs is listed on the about SFPA page.
CLICK HERE TO JOIN. Just complete the simple online
membership form and make a payment. Once we've got your application and dues, and we have confirmed your information,
you will have full acess to all
areas of the website.